Developing Leadership and Life Skills in Latino Youth
For many Latino students, school is a challenging place where culture and language can create barriers to success. Through the Association of Washington Student Leader’s custom programs delivered in both English and Spanish, Latino students discover answers to three key questions:
- Who am I?
- What can I do?
- Where do I go from here?
Students develop self-confidence, a positive self-identity and they learn the skills they need to make their dreams a reality.
Positive changes for Latino students can also ignite a passionate response throughout the culture of an entire school. Our research shows that Latino students who learn leadership skills can help in creating the conditions to reach four of the eight Leadership Framework criteria: create a culture, ensure safety, engage the community and close the gap.
The Association of Washington Student Leaders (AWSL) offers Latino leadership programs for middle level and high school students. Additionally, staff training is offered to schools to equip them with the cultural understanding and intervention strategies to better serve their Latino student populations.
Printable version: Latino Programs
Latino student resources
The La Cima website has a great collection of resources for Latino students and their advisers. From scholarship opportunities for Latino and migrant students, to resources for educators looking to more fully engage their Latino student populations,
La Cima leadership camp and programs for high school students
Custom Workshops and Trainings for both students and staff. We come to you!
Data & Information on Latino Students
- Serving Your Latino Students: AWSL Information Page
- Hispanic student population by school district: 2012-13 OSPI Report
- Graduation rates of Hispanic students by district: 2012-13 OSPI Report
- Statistical Portrait of Hispanics in the United States, 2012 Pew Research
AWSL understands that not every Latino population is the same: every community has its own unique needs. Through its custom workshops and trainings, AWSL can create a program specifically designed for your Latino students. Below are five of our Latino-focused workshops popular with schools around the state.
- Keynote Presentation: The Next Great American StoryPromote a positive school climate
- Leadership Development WorkshopHelp close the achievement gap
- Parent EngagementConnect Latino families to your school
- Transition Support and Mentor TrainingBuild support systems for student success
- School Staff Training: Know Your StudentsEquip your staff with the cultural understanding to better serve Latino students
You can also visit www.LaCima.org for general information on Latino issues and more information on our Latino student leadership programs.