Quality Student Leadership Training Since 1956
The Association of Washington Student Leaders (AWSL) is a division of the Association of Washington School Principals (AWSP) through its non-profit organization, the Washington School Principals' Education Foundation. Since 1956, AWSL has been providing leadership training to students throughout Washington state. You can read more about our history in the publication, "Living the Legacy," written in celebration of its 50th anniversary in 2006.
In efforts to achieve its goals and objectives, the work of AWSL is guided by the strategic plan of AWSP, whose 2013-2016 edition states, "AWSP will provide student leadership programs that support and increase the academic and social success of all students." Areas of focus include:
- Intentionally connect student leadership to the AWSP Framework
- Develop, identify and implement strategies to help [AWSP] members support student voice and engagement to improve school climate and culture.
- Broaden student leadership programs to include elementary opportunities
- Expand student leadership opportunities with an emphasis on underserved populations.
The Association of Washington Student Leaders sponsors and delivers curriculum and training in many areas, including:
- High School Summer Leadership Camps
- Middle Level Summer Leadership Camps
- High School conferences and retreats
- Middle Level conferences and retreats
- High School / Middle Level retreats and traveling programs
- Elementary Level workshops and traveling programs
- Latino programs
- CheerLeadership Summer Camps
- Adviser programs
AWSL staff also help deliver challenge course curriculum at the Association of Washington School Principals' two learning centers at Cispus and Chewelah Peak, as well as travelling challenge course programs.